Can a felon carry a stun gun even used for wrk

Wilmington, NC |

Ex bf has a couple felony not sure it he is convicted of..but he carrys a stun gun ..he said it ok to carry only for his job ..can he carry a stun gun for any reason by law as a felon

It appears that a felon can be in possession of a stun gun as long as said stun gun does not expel a projectile. A taser that fires a projectile to stun its victim may qualify as a firearm under the law. If he is walking around with a stun gun that is a wand then I don't think there is a problem. I have attached the NC felon in possession of firearm statute.

For informational purposes only. This comment is not intended to be legal advice.

I cannot imagine what type of job a felon would have and be allowed to carry a stun gun for work?? I do not think he is being honest with you. Good thing he is your ex boyfriend. He is one to stay away from.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" PLEASE MARK IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. This information is provided by PEGGY M. RADDATZ, Attorney At Law as a pro bono service. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

I don't think he is being truthful either...he says he works as security at a sweepstake..so he cadets a stun gun is it illegal for him to carry a stumble gun as a felon

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

I am not sure but you should be able to easily look it up online under your state statutes.

I don't know about the law in NC, but under federal law a stun gun would not be considered a gun (which a felon cannot possess) because it is not designed to expel a projectile by use of an explosive.

This answer is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended as the practice of law in any jurisdiction in which I am not licensed. The answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the information provided, and may be inaccurate in the context of additional facts that have not been provided. The questioner should be aware that I am only licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts of Minnesota. Accordingly, before taking any action or refraining from taking any action, the questioner should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in his or her jurisdiction.