Can a federal tax refund be used to pay a state tax balance after a bankruptcy is filed in a Chapter 7 bk?

Asked over 1 year ago - Salt Lake City, UT

The Chapter 7 trustee has the authority to seize a federal or state tax refund after a Chapter 7 bk is filed. What if the federal tax refund is $500 and the state tax due is $500 after filing bankruptcy? Can the federal refund be used to pay the $500 state balance or does it have to be turned over to the trustee to make that decision?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Charles Ross Smith III

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The answer to your question is complicated. You have to list your right to a specific year of state, federal and local tax refunds on Schedule B. Value them at their face value, if you know the value. List the value as "unknown" if you you have not yet filed the return. Then, you must exempt the refunds on Schedule C.

    I don't know the exemptions that apply to Utah. You'll need to look them up. You should have an exemption available for "Cash and right to receive cash" and an exemption for "Other property selected by debtor" or something like that.

    If a husband and wife are both on the return, they can both claim the allowable exemptions for their home state. That effectively doubles the amount of exempt funds available.

    And yes, in most places, the trustees allow debtors to offset taxes due in the same year against each other. Most permit an offset of the cost of the tax preparers' fees also.

    As you can see, you can can easily cost yourself money by going into bankruptcy without a attorney. Many good bankruptcy attorneys offer an initial consultation at no cost. Why not try a few? Good luck.

    This answer is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and may not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  2. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the Trustee takes the federal refund, you want the money to be used to pay the state tax debt, right? Unfortunately, sometimes state tax authorities don't file claims in time, but you are entitled to file a claim on behalf of one of your creditors and I would suggest that you do so. If the claim is found to be a priority claim, all the money, except for a small commission paid to the trustee, will go to pay the tax debt. Hope this perspective helps!

  3. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In the District of Oregon the trustees do not take any money in your scenerio. If you get a $3000 IRS refund and owe $500 to State, the trustee would want $2500. Ask you BK attorney what is done by YOUR trustee. Good luck.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,939 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,939 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering