Can a Federal probation officer tell you .. they have the right to come in your home with out warrant.

Asked 6 months ago - Dover, DE

Son did not live in my home , he was living in homeless shelter and I allowed him to come her to make calls during the day ... His federal probation officer said that if I did not let him in my home to speak with my son he would not let him come here ! that same day I was given copies of standard rules and the word in did not appear in the rule .. the word was at so the man came at second time and I ask him to leave from the inside of my house and he refused too!.. Does at mean in ?

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

Answered . Probation is a form of criminal sanction--like prison--and in many cases the PO does not need a warrant for areas where the probationer has joint or total control over an area. Federal probationers have limited protection under the 4th Amendment of the United States Constitution. His probation documents should define his rights--your home is NOT a safe haven from those restrictions. The thinking is that if he was still in prison, he would have no safe place to hide his contraband or have total freedom of movement and since he is still under criminal sanction while on probation—he should have no safe place to hide contraband or have total freedom of movement.

Best option to avoid the scrutiny in the future, do not allow you son in your home.

Best option given that you want to see your son: make yourself aware of all the consequences of his presence in your home--which include warrantless searches.

That said, I am NOT a DE attorney. If you are charged with any crime, immediately contact a DE criminal defense attorney. Best of luck to you and your son.

2. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

Answered . Under these circumstances, I would say yes. The son is allowed there to make calls there.