Skip to main content

Can a federal inmate write a letter to a judge, requesting an update on the motion fora sentence reduction while in prison.

Mccomb, MS |
Filed under: Criminal defense

This motion was filed on 2-25-11. His wife called the case manager and they stated that the case haven't been looked at yet. The new law went into effect on November 1, 2011 for the new sentence law guideline, retroactive crack amendment 18 to 1. If the federal inmate can't write it can his wife, his power of attorney write a letter requesting this information.

Attorney Answers 1


Certainly the lawyer who filed the motion can inquire or perhaps file a motion for a status conference (or whatever local rules provide). If the request doesn't go through the lawyer most judges will simply forward the mail to the attorney of record.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics