Can a Father just give up his rights because he does not want to pay child support?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Batavia, NY

My sons father says he cant afford child support so he is going to go to court to give up his rights so he doesn't have to pay support. Can he do that?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Lloyd C. Rosen


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . No. The father can never avoid his obligation to pay child support by "giving up his rights". The only way to avoid a support obligation is if the child is adopted by another man, in which case you would no longer be considered the father of the child, and no longer have an obligation of support.

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Rosen practices matrimonial and family law in Great Neck, NY. His response here is not... more
  2. Jeffrey Bruce Gold


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . No. Child support is an obligation. If ordered to pay it, he has to pay it, regardless of whether he avails himself of his visitation rights.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,446 answers this week

2,707 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,446 answers this week

2,707 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary