Skip to main content

Can a father completely sign over their rights?

Statesville, NC |

If a father doesn't want anything to do with their child can they sign over their parental rights completely and do they still have to pay child support?

Attorney Answers 2


To do this you would have to have a judge order the termination of parental rights after a hearing to determine that the father was doing so knowingly and wilfully. You can also have the judge give full custody to the mother and still require the father to pay child support. You should not attempt to do this without the assistance of an attorney.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.

My comments are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, are not confidential, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given by an attorney who agrees to represent you, who reviews the facts of your specific case, who does not have a conflict of interest preventing the representation, and who is licensed to practice in the appropriate jurisdiction where the legal issue may be filed or in the state where the law applies.

Mark as helpful


A father can voluntary relinquish his parental rights through an adoption proceeding, e.g. if the child's mother remarries and her husband wants to adopt the child in a step-parent adoption or the father's rights can be termination if you file a Petition for Termination of Parental Rights.

Our office schedules phone and office consultations to review cases concerning North Carolina legal issues. This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship but is a response to a hypothetical scenario and should not be construed as legal advice in your case.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics