Can a father be granted visitation rights with his child although he is emotionally and mentally abusive to the child?

Asked over 1 year ago - Falls Church, VA

1. Julia Jane Wills Ovando

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Allen. Due to your concerns of abuse, you should consider asking the court to appoint a Guardian ad Litem to represent the interests of your child. While it may be hard for you to convince the judge of emotional and mental abuse, if the Guardian ad Litem investigates and in their neutral position find the abuse you have seen occurred or continues to occur, they are likely to recommend only supervised visitation, and possibly counseling to see if the father can correct his interactions for the well being of the child.

Good luck!

2. Victoria Lee Allen

Answered . Yes. If it is truly an issue and it can be shown to a judge, that visitation may be limited to supervised only. It is very rare that a Court will deny all visitation.