Skip to main content

Can a family member that is a notary notarize another family member court document?

Ormond Beach, FL |

my ex-mother-in-law that is a notary in Florida, notarized her sons response to a motion that I put into the courts. I need to know if that is legal and if not, is there any thing legal I can do about it?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Per the Florida Statutes, a notary public "may not notarize a signature on a document if the person whose signature is to be notarized is the spouse, son, daughter, mother, or father of the notary public." (Section 117.107(11).

    This communication is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

  2. No you cannot notarize your mother, father, spouse, son or daughter's signature in accordance with the notary laws of the state of Florida.

    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

  3. No this is not allowed by Florida Statute. You should consult with an attorney as to your legal options.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics