Can a family member that is a notary notarize another family member court document?

Asked 9 months ago - Ormond Beach, FL

my ex-mother-in-law that is a notary in Florida, notarized her sons response to a motion that I put into the courts. I need to know if that is legal and if not, is there any thing legal I can do about it?

1. Sabina Tomshinsky

Pro

3

1

Answered . Per the Florida Statutes, a notary public "may not notarize a signature on a document if the person whose signature is to be notarized is the spouse, son, daughter, mother, or father of the notary public." (Section 117.107(11).

2. Betty Elaine Jones

Pro

Answered . No you cannot notarize your mother, father, spouse, son or daughter's signature in accordance with the notary laws of the state of Florida.

Sincerely,
    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

3. David Vega

Answered . No this is not allowed by Florida Statute. You should consult with an attorney as to your legal options.