Can a ER doctor refuse to send you to your heart specialist?

Hazard, KY |

I went into my local ER with AFIB. My heart specialist is over 140 miles away and has told me to go to a ER when this happens. Most people can take meds for this condition. I have an enlarged aorta, two stents and a substantial heart murmur. I told him I came in to be safe and that I needed to be sent to my heart specialists hospital or at least call him. The ER doctor refused to call my specialist twice and then sent me home without treatment. At the same hospital last summer another ER doctor sent me by ambulance to my specialists hospital during an AFIB attack. That doctor refused to let me go in my POV stating it was too dangerous not to go in a ambulance. I'm 55 years old and a college graduate, I so still have a little sense.

Many times these decisions are based on the physician's professional judgment. So yes, he can refuse. However, if other physicians with the same training would have sent you to a specialist, and you suffered some actual injury because the doctor didn't send you, you may have a claim for malpractice. You should consult a medical malpractice attorney in your area for an evaluation. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

He can refuse, however you may still want to consult with an attorney in your area. Use the avvo search bar to locate an attorney in your area that specializes in medical malpractice. Good Luck.

(206) 335-3880. We retain experts and begin contingency fees at 29%. However, communication through Avvo does not constitute legal representation. Representation by this law firm can only be established through a written agreement executed by both attorney and client. In the absence of such express representation agreement, this law firm does not represent the recipient or reader and no person or party should rely upon statements, opinions or advice contained herein.

The ER doctor can use his or her medical judgment as to what course of action to take.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes