Can a ER doctor refuse to send you to your heart specialist?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hazard, KY

I went into my local ER with AFIB. My heart specialist is over 140 miles away and has told me to go to a ER when this happens. Most people can take meds for this condition. I have an enlarged aorta, two stents and a substantial heart murmur. I told him I came in to be safe and that I needed to be sent to my heart specialists hospital or at least call him. The ER doctor refused to call my specialist twice and then sent me home without treatment. At the same hospital last summer another ER doctor sent me by ambulance to my specialists hospital during an AFIB attack. That doctor refused to let me go in my POV stating it was too dangerous not to go in a ambulance. I'm 55 years old and a college graduate, I so still have a little sense.

1. Sean Michael Patrick

4

Answered . Many times these decisions are based on the physician's professional judgment. So yes, he can refuse. However, if other physicians with the same training would have sent you to a specialist, and you suffered some actual injury because the doctor didn't send you, you may have a claim for malpractice. You should consult a medical malpractice attorney in your area for an evaluation. Best of luck.

2. Evan Matthew Oshan

2

Answered . He can refuse, however you may still want to consult with an attorney in your area. Use the avvo search bar to locate an attorney in your area that specializes in medical malpractice. Good Luck.

Pro

2

Answered . The ER doctor can use his or her medical judgment as to what course of action to take.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com