Can a employer black ball you

Spokane, WA |

I had worked for a Dr's office for 2 1/2 years. THey let me go the end of Nov. 2007. I have apllied all of the Spokane area to get a job. THe peolpe that call to check on my refences they keep telling me that they our not getting any return calls back out the refuse to answer any questions. What can i do to see if this is really happening to me.

I have worked in the Gulf of Mexico for twenty years. on 06/08/09 I was on a vessel and had been cussed at, bully ed around for twelve days from another employee. on the thirteenth day, he approached me with the same attitude. I took the steps required by the company guide lines in reporting him to the Caption. the situation remained the same. when we were auguring, he approached me and threaten to do bodily harm. In turn I picked up a weapon to defend my self and threaten him back.I was terminated but not the other employee . I feel the whole situation was UN professionally handled and was wondering could the company black ball me for this?

You can try to work with your former employer to get a good response, but your former employer does have the right to not speak about you. They may be afraid of saying the wrong thing and having you sue them. If I ever represented an employer, which I dont, I would not want them commenting on former employees to anyone that called.

my previous employer told me that if i report him to the texas state board of dental examiners for treatment that he botched on my spouse, he said that he would contact my current employer and get me fired he also stated that he would call all the local dentist in the area and make sure i never get a job in the current town i live in

A former employer is not required to give any information to a prospective employer who calls for a reference, The former employer has the right to refuse to give out any information, although most will at least confirm the start and end dates of employment. A prospective employer calling for a reference usually will not draw a negative conclusion from the refusal to give a reference, but of course a lot can be conveyed in the tone of voice of the former employer.

If you're curious as to how your former employer is handling these reference calls, you could have a friend or a private investigator call them, posing as a prospective employer.

If you feel that your former employer is giving out bad vibes about you, you could say, for example, "Feel free to call my former employer for a reference, but from what I hear, they don't give out any information about ex-employees." Better yet, if you were friendly with anyone at that doctor's office, tell the prospective employer to ask for that person directly -- but first, you should talk to that person and let them know you are using them as a reference.