Can a dv 2 be dismissed if victim files something not wanting to press charges and not show up to court?

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Domestic violence

Me and my boyfriend were drinking and got into a physical fight cops showed up and took pphotos of my face and neck and a recored statement from me they are chargeing him with a dv2 _

The victims of DV often later want to dismiss charges; the courts often refuse to dismiss because of fear the victim is being pressured.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

The prosecutors and courts often do not listen to people they believe are victims of domestic violence because they are concerned that the person is under some pressure to change their story. Once a charge has been filed, it is up to the prosecutor and not the alleged victim whether the case should go forward because the prosecutors pursue the case on behalf of the community, not the victim. If you do not want the charges to be pursued, you would be best served by hiring an attorney who can advise you and assist you in advocating for your position. It can be complicated to navigate this path when the prosecutor views you as their star witness.

The short answer is no. You can see my legal guide to this question, but it is the State's choice whether to proceed with prosecution, not yours.