Can a Dr call you in for a pill count and drug test for no reason?

Asked over 3 years ago - Crescent City, CA

I take two meds for a sleep disorder and I have taken them for about 10 years, I have never asked for more pills or to get them early but my new Dr. called me in for a pill count today and a drug test or he would not give me my meds next time. I am on medical and I have never been in trouble with the law and have never had to take a drug test except for a job in the past. The doctor said it was just because their computer picked my name for the test and pill count and that it was their policy to do this. I passed the test and pill count but I felt like I was on parole or something. With the money problems the state of Calif. is in this is a big waste of money for me to have to go in to the Dr. for no reason.

Just to add a littlle more, the doctor did not test me for the drugs I have a script for they tested me for street drugs like cocaine, meth, weed just to name a few. I also had not been in to see the doctor for a few months as it was not time to see him yet. Also I have met other people that have been going to the same clinic for years and are on stronger meds than me and they have never had to go in for a pill count or a drug test, and they have a police record for drugs.

Pro

1

7

Answered . It sounds like the doctor was concerned about your health. I'm glad you are ok.

Click on the name of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your personal injury topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

Answered . A doctor has a right to be concerned about your health; if for no other reason, to be concerned about possible litigation. Have a candid conversation next time you see him/her. Good luck, Jeff Adams