Can a Dr. "legally" stop treatments , (spinal injections), appointments, medicines, etc., just because you became "Self Pay" ?

Meadville, PA |

I recently lost my Medicaid coverage because I got my Social Security Disability awarded and they said my income was too high. I can't get Medicare for two years. I tried to get private coverage , but because I have a pre-existing condition, no one will cover me. My pain specialist says he will no longer see me because they say they have a "No Self Pay" policy. I was in the middle of spinal injections & medications, therapy, etc. (to manage pain), when this happened. I have the money to pay them. Is this legal ? Can they refuse me treatment mid-stream ? What am I supposed to do now ? It seems to me,.... I COULD / May be a dangerous situation. Please advise me as to what I should do now. Do I have a case ? Strong? Weak? None?

1. You do not have a case in my opinion and doctors can chose not to accept certain form of payment. I suggest you find a pain specialist that would accept self pay

2. I agree with my colleague that you do not have a case. I also agree that you should find a pain management specialist that does accept cash.

3. In order to have a personal injury or medical malpractice claim you have to have been damaged. So far you haven't been. Go see another doctor.

4. I guess the old greenback is not what it used to be; what has the world come to? Surely some doctor will be willing to accept you as a "self-pay" Legal case at this point in time - No (lucky for you no damages) I would check with another health insurance agent, maybe under Obama Care you can't be denied coverage due to a pre-existing condition. You can also check with a PA local social security attorney to make sure you have not been wrongfully denied Medicaid. Best wishes for a speedy recovery

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

5. Yes, they don't have to treat you. Retain a new doctor to get the treatment you require.

6. The doctor can stop treating you. If you are willing to pay cash you should be able to find another doctor. Under Obama care you can get insurance even if you have a pre-existing condition. I do not know the rules, so you should call a few insurance agents.

7. What a shame! Move on and find a new doctor that is willing to provide you with the necessary care you require regardless of your method of payment. Like the other esteemed attorneys, I too do not believe you have a case, as a doctor can "fire you" as a patient. Find another doctor.

Best of luck to you.

Gladys Wiles
    Snyder & Wiles, PC
    7731 Main Street
    Fogelsville, PA 18051
    610-391-9500

The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this Website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Firm expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all the contents of this Website. Any information sent to The Firm by Internet e-mail or through the Website is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis. Transmission of information from this Website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Firm, nor is it intended to do so. The transmission of the Website, in part or in whole, and/or any communication with us via Internet e-mail through this site does not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship between us and any recipients. Some links within the Website may lead to other web-sites, including those operated and maintained by third parties. The Firm includes these links solely as a convenience to you, and the presence of such a link does not imply a responsibility for the linked site or an endorsement of the linked site, its operator, or its contents. This Website and its contents are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. Furthermore, The Firm does not wish to represent anyone desiring representation based upon viewing this Website in a state where this Website fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state.