Can a doctor release personal information to my therapist without my permission?

54235 |

He had me sign a discloser form, did not take the time to read all the small print, but the doctor told me it would go to the other doctors not my therapist. When I went to see the therapist, I was shocked when she mentioned what I privately told the doctor.

The horse is out of the barn on this one. Be sure to read what you sign next time. In the meantime, I can only speak for myself when I say that I would not take your case to suit.

Sounds like a semantics event. Is your therapist a doctor? Does your doctor think that your therapist is a doctor? Did your therapist get the info directly from the doctor?

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Therapist is not a doctor, doctor knows I was going to see a psychiatrist for PTSD after the counselor, told facility private information that has nothing to do with my mental health. they have you sign something at end of consultation, I just signed thinking Hippa would be in play and they cannot disclose personal information.

Health care providers have very great latitude under HIPAA and other medical privacy laws to share information for the purpose of caring for patients. If you don't want this to happen again, be VERY clear up front about your expectations and prepared to find another doctor if he / she takes a different view.

This response is intended to provide general information, but not legal advice. The response may be different if there are other or different facts than those included in the original question. See for more information on why this communication is not privileged or create an attorney-client relationship.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights