Can a doctor refuse to release my medical records because i have an unpaid balance?

Holland, MI |

i wnated to switch doctors because i lost my job and i don't have insurance anymore so I am going to a diffrent clinic but they refuse to transfer my records becuase i owe 100 dollars.

What is the VA statute # re this question?

1. I do not believe they can deny access to your records because you owe money for past treatment. Under the HIPAA laws, Health Insurance Privacy and Portability Act, you have many rights, including the right to access of your medical records. Below are some of the rights given under the act:

Health Insurers and Providers who are covered entities must comply with your right to:

Ask to see and get a copy of your health records
    Have corrections added to your health information
    Receive a notice that tells you how your health information may be used and shared
    Decide if you want to give your permission before your health information can be used or shared for certain purposes, such as for marketing
    Get a report on when and why your health information was shared for certain purposes
    If you believe your rights are being denied or your health information isn’t being protected, you can
    File a complaint with your provider or health insurer
    File a complaint with the U.S. Government
    You should get to know these important rights, which help you protect your health information.

If they continue to deny access to your records, see an attorney for a consultation regarding a violation of your rights under HIPAA.