Can a divorce case be dismissed in court? If yes what are the grounds?

Asked over 2 years ago - Austin, TX

There was a temporary injunction that was attached to the divorce petition filed that we both have to follow, The petitioner violated a lot already. Is there a possibility that the case he filed will be dismissed?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

3

20

Answered . I am sorry that this is dragging out, most times the courts give the parties room to fix the problems, perhaps you should add some more facts to make it easier for the lawyers to answer. Take care and good luck.

2. Kathryn Figueredo Fowler

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . Hopefully , you have filed an answer or some type of appearance in the case, or consulted with an attorney concerning such.
    Temporary restraining orders are only good for 14 days, then they expire unless you have a hearing on the merits or they are extended by the court.
    Travis county has standing orders that attach to each petition, that do not expire. Williamson County does not. Unclear which county you reside within.
    The court only punishes violations that are brought to the court's attention through correctly drafted pleadings and correctly presented evidence. Contempt for violations are something for which you should consult an attorney.
    The case will only be dismissed if he asks the court to dismiss the case. You can not ask the court to dismiss his case.
    I would strongly suggest that you consult an experienced attorney and fast as there are timelines in all court cases.
    I have been practicing in Travis, Williamson and surrounding counties for over 20 years. Please feel free to contact me for further advise and direction. Kathryn 512-218-1536

3. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

Answered . It depends upon the circumstances. Most courts would rather give the parties the opportunity to correct their behavior and/or their papers before dismissing a divorce case. That is due, in part, because unlike some other types of litigation, people who want a divorce aren't usually discouraged or dissuaded from proceeding by an unfavorable court ruling. A local attorney can tell you specifically what the courts in your area are likely to do. You can search the attorney profiles here on AVVO to find someone. Good luck!

4. David Alexander Browde

Pro

Answered . That's not enough information on which to base an answer. You should discuss the situation in detail with a local attorney.