Skip to main content

Can a dissmissed case get sealed and if so how can I get my fingerprints mugshots and arrest record destroyed

Bronx, NY |

The incident happened in the Bronx the case was dissmissed few hours later after my arrest I have the disposition paper that shows no charges were ever filed but this is not enough for me I need to know that nothing is going to show in a criminal background if I decide to apply for another job

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Wait several months and then request your criminal history from the Department of Criminal Justice Services (costs some money) and see if your "rap sheet" has this on it. If it does, with no disposition, demand that it be removed as there is no basis to keep it on there if there are no prints or photos. I assume prints were taken, and if the case was dismissed, the prints and photos are to be destroyed or returned. If it never got that far, i.e. you were "unarrested" then it is unlikely that there is anything at all on your record, but you may wish to follow the procedure to satisfy yourself.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

  2. It seals automatically.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. If the case was dismissed as you said just a short time after your arrest, it should already be sealed. As suggested above you might want to check your record after a few months just to be sure.

    If this answer was helpful please click that block. Answers in the forum are only general and it is always best to contact a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your case. We handle NY, NJ and all Federal Court cases. Bukh Law Firm P.C., 14 Wall Street, New York NY 10005, (212) 729-1632.

  4. Go to the clerk and ask for a Certificate of Disposition to see if it was dismissed and sealed. Choose "best answer if this helped you.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics