Can a dismissed petty theft charge through pretrial diversion be expunged?

i have a dismissed petty theft case in los angeles after going through pre-trial diversion. i did not plea guilty and never went to court. My question is whether such a criminal record can be expunged and if yes is there any benefit from doing it ? Would the court still have records of my case because my lawyer was able to get me into diversion program before the case was filed in court. I am currently on a work visa.

No the case has already been dismissed.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at

Expungments apply to convictions. You say that you did not plead guilty and that your case was dismissed after you completed a diversion program - you don't have a conviction to expunge. You also note that you are here on a work visa - if your concerns relate to your immigration status because of this case you would be best served by speaking to an immigration attorney.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute legal advice. I have answered a question on a public forum which does not establish any attorney-client relationship. For a more detailed legal analysis you should consult with a legal professional in your area.