Can a discovery order be appealed?

Pasadena, CA |

If I am a party to a civil lawsuit, and the other side was granted a protective order regarding something that has to do with discovery, can I appeal that order or does it have to be through a writ of mandate, or some other writ? And how many days do I have to file, if it has to be a writ?

Discovery orders are not generally appealable and can only be reviewed by writ. Writ petitions are usually a waste of time as 9 out of 10 are summarily denied. How much time do you have?

You would need to serve and file the petition in sufficient time to allow the court to rule on it BEFORE the order goes into effect. If it is a self executing forthwith order, you need to do it ASAP and certainly within 60 days of entry of the order, provided there is no shorter applicable statutory time. For more information on writ petitions this guide may be helpful:
http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/6DCAproc.pdf‎

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

thanks for the attachment...will definitely look at it. quick question though...if this regarding a protective order (that other side brought against me regarding a discovery isssue)that the the court granted to other side, would that be a writ of mandate that I would file? and how much time do writs of mandate have to filed before?

This is not an appealable order. You would need to file a writ petition, which is a request for discretionary review. You generally have 60 days to file the petition, but in practical terms you must file it as soon as possible and ask the court of appeal for an immediate stay pending its preliminary consideration of the merits.

Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or services to on or behalf of any person or any entity. Usage of the Avvo website is not intended to and shall not create any obligation or relationship between the user and the Law Office of Herb Fox, including but not limited to, an attorney-client relationship. Further, the communications on this website between you and the Law Office of Herb Fox may not be privileged or confidential. Finally, your situation may be governed by deadlines that may or may not have already lapsed, and you may lose your rights if you do or did not act within those deadlines.

Procedure would be a writ as that is the proper mechanism for a higher court to review a lower court decision. Time is short to do one. Believe most are denied without a hearing on pleadings by the opposition. A writ is time consuming. Suggest you evaluate the court's order. Ask your attorney. [No attorney. If you are involved in litigation where the opposition has counsel who is aggressively representing client, you need counsel as well.]

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

would it be a writ of mandate that i bring forth?

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes