Can a disabled person who is permanent resident but have not completed 40 quarters of work get SSI?

Can a disabled person who is permanent resident but have not completed 40 quarters of work either by herself or by sponsors, parents or family members, get SSI? I have become disabled unexpectedly ( for a rapid heart failure I am living with support of mechanical device), but I don't know how shall I survive because I haven't worked for 40 quarters for a number of reasons such as not able to get a job, illness, so on. I never had a desire not to earn my living. But at this circumstance, I can not survive with my little savings. Moreover, I have additional medicine expenses now that are not covered by my insurance. Need advice, is there any benefit available for people like me?

Richmond, VA -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (3)

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA
John M Connell

John M Connell

Workers' Compensation Lawyer - Englewood, CO

Look at the website for social security that have been provided by the attorneys here. I believe you might be eligible for SSI but those should help you to find out. You can also contact an attorney that handles social security cases and talk to them.

Clifford Michael Farrell

Clifford Michael Farrell

Social Security Lawyers - Columbus, OH

The link to the requirements for SSI for non-citizens is here:

Also check with your State for Medicaid eligibility. The State website is: and the link to access the State Handbook on Medicaid is:

Contact Social Security before the end of the month - the date you file a claim decides what months you can get paid for.

Best of luck to you!

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should... more

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.