Can a direct blood heir be excluded from any& all inheratence if incarcerated in ca, prison for indetermanate sentence of murder

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

There was no will found and my Father wanted both of his daughters taken care of.I am the only other heir except grandkids etc. .I was told I could set up some kind of trust with an attorney's help for my sister when and if she is released/paroled.If there is any thing left after probate .Any suggestions

1. Christine James

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . If there is only 2 daughters, BOTH daughters are the heirs if there is no will. Even the incarcerated daughter is entitled to her inheritance. Certainly setting up a trust for her benefit is a good idea. At a minimum, the money should be placed in an account for her benefit. The bottom line is whether she is in jail for life or not, she is a heir and entitled to her inheritance. Keep in mind however, if restitution is ordered in her criminal case, the inheritance can be used to satisfy that restitution order.

2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

1

Answered . This is a wills and trust issue. I would suggest contacting a wills and trust attorney. Many wills and trusts attorneys provided a free consultation.

3. Richard Franklin Taub

1

Answered . This question should be sent to the probate section. A good probate (wills and trusts) attorney will be able to know this answer and advise you.