Can a Detective lie to a judge receive an affidavit to search?

Asked 11 months ago - Reno, NV

I have recently come across information that a Detective on a criminal case lied to get a search warrant. He said under oath to a judge that he drove an informant around to identify my van and house. Which I now believe is a lie. I have been trying to get the movement card from the jail to prove this. I am unable to do this since I am not an attorney. I would also like to know what can be done in this case.

1. Ross Carl Goodman

Pro

2

Answered . The defense counsel can file a motion to suppress if he can establish that the detective knowingly provided false information.

2. James Oronoz

1

Answered . A Detective lying to secure a search warrant is obviously serious. You need to address this issue with your counsel as soon as possible. Start gathering facts that prove that the Detective was not truthful. Seek an evidentiary hearing from the court so that a record can be made of the issue. Also, file a motion to suppress. Good luck.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

Answered . If you are the defendant, in a case on which some evidence was obtained your attorney could challenge the validity of the warrant and any evidence associated with that search.

Your post is missing the usual smattering of personal pronouns that give the reader some idea of your relationship to the event do its tough to assess whether you will have any chance to pursue your line of reasoning or even any right to the documents you seek is unclear.

4. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

Answered . We like to think that our law enforcement officers would always be honest in each of their endeavors. However, experience tell us that this is not so. You need to get an attorney who will assert your rights.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,