Can a Defendant's Pending Motion to Strike Be Set for a Hearing After a Motion for Summary Judgment Has Been Granted?

Asked about 1 year ago - Pensacola, FL

I am currently being sued by a debt collector. They filed a Motion for Summary Judgment and it was Granted, even though I appeared at the hearing and presented evidence and testimony which should have been sufficient enough to sustain the fact that a Motion for Summary Judgment should not have been Granted. However, prior to the hearing on the Plaintiff's Motion for Summary Judgment; I filed a Motion to Strike certain documents from their Pleadings as insufficient evidence. The question is this: do I still have the right to set a hearing on my Motion to Strike, or does the Granted Summary Judgment preclude me from doing so? Can I file a Pro Se Motion to Vacate the Summary Judgment until I can hire an attorney before the Plaintiff obtains the Final Judgment against me? Please advise.

1. Barry A. Stein

Pro

2

Answered . Without seeing the pleadings it is impossible to answer your question. A motion for summary judgment would seem to make your M/Strike moot. No evidence is properly presented at a hearing on a summary judgment. That may be part of your problem. I dont know, that is a guess. You can file a pro se motion to vacate summary judgment if it was entered. You can file a motion for rehearing if the the judgment has been obtained. Follow all timeframes and be careful to appeal timely if necessary. Seek legal help asap.

2. Eugene P. Castagliuolo

1

Answered . So let me get this straight: You tried to pull your own teeth, and when the job proved a little more than you had bargained for, you took your pile of pulled teeth and your pliers to a dentist, and now you want him/her to fix everything? Look, you should have hired a lawyer from the get-go, especially with this type of case, where many lawyers (including me) will often take these cases with no out-of-pocket "up front" cost to you. Now I can't imagine any lawyer will attempt to fix this without fees "up front." Get out the local lawyer's directory and give it a try. I agree with my colleague who thinks the case is pretty much lost. Sorry, only callin' 'em as I see 'em.

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

1

Answered . Probably not.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239