Can a Defendant and Petitioner use the same Volunteer Legal Service Corporation to seek legal advice for the same case?

San Mateo, CA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

Petitioner used pro per assistance clinics from VLSC for half an hour over the phone with a lawyer. Defendant is planning to use individual case referrals from VLSC by retaining a lawyer. Would this pose a conflict of interest which violates rules of professional conduct?

Interesting question, but I don't think so. The VLSC is not an attorney appearing for either party but has (according to your question) only provided some casual information to one party who wants to act as his/her own attorney and referred the other party to a lawyer (if I understand your question).

So, I don't see any conflict of interest, especially if the goal of seeing this conflict is pro se Party "A" trying to get represented Party "B"'s lawyer disqualified. I don't see this VLSC has having an attorney-client relationship with either party, and presumably the VLSC informed the pro se lawyer that it was giving them general resource information, not agreeing to act as his counsel (like Avvo responders).

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes