Can a debt creditor garnish my Social Security? They have called me and threatened to do so through a garnishment/judge.

Asked about 2 years ago - Daytona Beach, FL

I have a widow's pension plus I have Social Security Disability, a small amount..can they freeze my bank account when I have no other monies but my Social Security.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Don't let a debt collector lie to you. If you keep your Social Security funds separate from other funds, you should be fine. 42 USC 407 makes Social Security payments exempt from collections. There are small exceptions for unpaid taxes, child support, and certain student loans, but otherwise, the answer is "No".

    Next time the phone rings, don't answer it. Good luck.

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an... more
  2. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are ok as long as you don't mix other money with that pool of ss.

    I think you should at least talk to a bk attorney. Maybe a bk is the right thing for you.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  3. 6

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Your Social Security and pension are exempt from execution. However, a creditor can still attempt to garnish a bank account in which you have deposited these funds. AS part of that process the account will be frozen. Under present federal regulations, a bank is required to promptly determine whether the funds in the account consist solely of Social Security benefits. Pension funds can be claimed exempt under state law procedures The problem with these procedures is that checks can be dishonored and large bank fees incurred for returned checks while accounts are frozen. A debt collector who threatens to take legal action not actually allowed by law has violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and may entitle you to an award of damages. To know for sure, a consultation with a consumer-rights attorney will meet your needs.

    Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  4. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your social security is received by direct deposits into your bank account, there are special protections. The bank has to make sure that an amount equal to the last 60 days of the direct deposits remains accessible to you. For this protection, it does not matter if you have deposited other funds into the account. The only exceptions are for child support debts and federal taxes, and the protection does not extend to other accounts--only the account that received the direct deposits.

Related Topics

Wage garnishment

Wage garnishment is the process whereby your employer sends part of your paycheck directly to your creditor in order to pay off your debt.

Dorothy G Bunce

Wage Garnishment

If you have a wage garnishment or if your bank account has been attached by a creditor, you may be mad or you may just be frightened. You don't need to be a victim because the law provides... more

Social security

Social security refers to several federal benefit programs, including Social Security Disability and Social Security Income, each with different requirements.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,178 answers this week

3,851 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,178 answers this week

3,851 attorneys answering