Can a debt collector sue me without a license in NY if they have a NY based attorney representing them?

Brooklyn, NY |

If not, how can I find out if a debt collection agency is licensed in NY?

A New York licensed attorney may commence an action in NY regardless of whether a debt collector is licensed. Debt Collectors must be licensed in NYC and you can verify information on the NYC website.

I do NOT know you. I am NOT your lawyer. This answer is provided for the general public who may have similar queries. The answer provided is NOT definitive. I do NOT know all of the facts of your case and NO attorney-client relationship is established. Please do not use my answer to tell your lawyer what to do. Free advise is worth exactly what you are paying. Trust the lawyer who is charging you for his/her time and expertise. If you can no longer trust your lawyer, then hire someone else. I am always interested in new clients and business opportunities and would welcome your call or email to discuss matters further. For more information, please feel free to visit my website or schedule an appointment.

I get that a licensed attorney can represent anyone - debt collectors included. Are you saying that debt collectors must also be licensed to collect in NY even if they are represented by a NY licensed attorney?

Mitchell Aaron Nathanson

Mitchell Aaron Nathanson

No, only New York City.

I see. Thank you for the clarification.

Yes, it is not uncommon for a creditor to to retain local counsel in order to obtain and enforce a judgment against you.

The creditor (the person or company owed the money) often hires a lawyer to pursue the case. The lawyer has to be licensed in New York.

The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

All debt collection agencies that seek to collect personal or household debts from New York City residents must have a DCA license no matter where the agency is located. To verify if a debt collection agency is licensed, call 311 or search DCA’s Instant License Check online at nyc.gov/consumers.

Sued for debt topics