Can a debt collector sue me without a license in NY if they have a NY based attorney representing them?

Asked 4 months ago - Brooklyn, NY

If not, how can I find out if a debt collection agency is licensed in NY?

1. Mitchell Aaron Nathanson

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . A New York licensed attorney may commence an action in NY regardless of whether a debt collector is licensed. Debt Collectors must be licensed in NYC and you can verify information on the NYC website.

2. Arthur Wemegah

1

Answered . Yes, it is not uncommon for a creditor to to retain local counsel in order to obtain and enforce a judgment against you.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . The creditor (the person or company owed the money) often hires a lawyer to pursue the case. The lawyer has to be licensed in New York.

4. Irina Lust

Answered . All debt collection agencies that seek to collect personal or household debts from New York City residents must have a DCA license no matter where the agency is located. To verify if a debt collection agency is licensed, call 311 or search DCA’s Instant License Check online at nyc.gov/consumers.