Can a debt collector call and give you someone elses debt information when leaving a msg?

Buffalo, NY |

Capital One called my home looking for my brother who I informed does not live here. They knew that but were listed as contact number. When the man called he told me they are going to repo his car the next day and if he could call so they could make some sort of finicial arrangement so he could keep the car. I did not think the person could give me such info on another person's credit problems. (the man asked for my father first, but he was not home and proceed to tell me what was going on) I called my brother and he did call the man back.

1. Under the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, a creditor is prohibited from communicating the debt information to anyone other than the debtor. There is a statutory damage of $1000 per violation.