Can a debt be legally put in and taken out of collections?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I have a debt with a state university I have been trying to dispute or compromise on for years. It was placed into collections. I was going to work out a settlement with the collection agency, when suddenly the school took it out of collections, changed the amount, and stated I need to pay in full or they will bring a lawsuit against me next month. I have no money to my name. I just want to know if it is legal to take it out of collections, or if I offer to pay anything (i.e. ten dollars) if they have to accept. They said nothing under $300.00 a month would do. I want this settled.

1. Matthew Scott Berkus

1

Answered . Yes, its legal.

2. Madhu Kalra

Pro

Answered . Consult with a bankruptcy attorney and discuss your options to resolve or discharge your debts.

3. Robert Charles Russell

Pro

Answered . This sounds like a private student loan (vs. Sallie Mae, etc) . Yes, they can pull it out of collection. No doubt the entire amount is due now (and earlier). They do not have to accept payments that are not acceptable to them. You might consider Chapter 13 because you can then force them to accept smaller payments. Talk to a bankruptcy attorney.