Can a Credit card company garnish my wage on top of Child support in sate of Delaware?

Asked over 1 year ago - Wilmington, DE

I read in state of delaware website that only one wage garnishment is allowed per employees pay chek. I am already paying child support. So does Child support count as garnishment? Can a credit card company garnish my wages ontop of the child support garnishment?

1. Jeffrey Scott Hyslip

Pro

Answered . Apparently there aren't too many attorneys licensed in DE on here. Sorry it's taken you so long to get an answer (and unfortunately I'm not going to be able to help you). If I were you I would contact Matt Carucci http://www.yourdelawarebankruptcylawyer.com/att... who I am sure would be able to help you. I know that in Ohio, where I am licensed, there is a maximum % of your paycheck that can be garnished and only one Creditor can Garnish at a time. I assume the same has to take place in Delaware (but lawyers don't guess or assume so reach out to Matt). If a collection agency or law firm threatened to garnish your wages and Matt says they are unable to do so, reach out to me and I can refer you to a FDCPA attorney in DE that will put some cash in your pocket. Under the FDCPA, collection agencies and law firms are not allowed to threaten to do anything they cannot do. Here, if they are not allowed to garnish your wages (because they are already being garnished) you probably have a decent case against them. Good Luck!