Skip to main content

Can a cps worker asks an adult member of the household not related to investigation for a drug test?

Peoria, AZ |

I am very curious to know if a CPS worker can tell an adult living in the house where allegations of ?(not sure what to put) whatever CPS criteria is, I think there was alleged drug use on the parent. Does this type (hair & UA) of drug test require a court order? What happens if this adult was to come back positive for marijuana but has been approved for a medical marijuana card(but can't afford fee to get said card)? Does this person have any options? The CPS worker said that they would take a hair sample and a UA. To my knowledge there is no court order. Any suggestions or facts based on this would be greatly appreciated! I really admire what the Attorneys on this site do. Thank you for your time.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Yes, CPS may ask an adult living in the house with a minor child to drug test even though they are not related to the child or the parent of the child. It is a request, not a court order, but if the adult refuses to comply, CPS may determine that the adult is not to be around the child. This could have a negative result on CPS's determination of where the child should reside. Marijuana use without a valid medical marijuana card is illegal. It doesn't matter that the person may have the ability to obtain a card; it matters whether he/she has that card, thus making the marijuana use legal.

    The information provided is general in nature and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. CPS can not force anyone to take a drug test.

    That being said, CPS can take your children without a court order if the case worker thinks that they even might be at risk. That is their power. They do not need proof.

    You will then find yourself in the juvenile court system with a judge likely ordering you to do all of the things that the CPS case worker asked you to do voluntarily plus probably a lot more.

    Meanwhile, your children are in foster care for what can be a very, very long time.

    CPS has the power to remove your children. Normally, you would want to be very cooperative.

    However, if you feel that there is a chance of your children being removed from your home by CPS, or that you may be charged with any kind of crime, you should consult with an attorney right away.

    Good luck!

    Patrick Sampair
    The Sampair Group, PLLC

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.

    Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.

  3. CPS has an obligation to protect children. If they believe someone is a possible treat to the child they can do what they believe verifies that the person is not a problem being near the child.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics