Skip to main content

Can a court make a mother change a child's last name?

Berthoud, CO |
Filed under: Family law

I want to know if a court would FORCE a mother to change her child's last name if the father requested it if she did not want to change it? Originally he said not to dare give the kid his last name.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


In short, no.


I do not practice in CO, but I may offer some general advice. Generally, a court will not force a mother to change a child's last name. You could, however, petition a court to change the child's last name. You would likely have to convince a court the name change is in the child's best interest. Success seems unlikely based on your post.

Consult with a local, experienced family law attorney to confirm this advice.

Good luck!


Licensed in Colorado!

A court generally will refrain from interjecting its own preferences into the last name of a child. Unless it is for the child's best interest, the court will never force a mother into a decision.

[My comments are offered for informational purposes and shall not be understood as creating an attorney-client relationship. To create an attorney-client relationship, please schedule an appointment for an initial consultation:

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer