Skip to main content

Can a county courthouse and children protective services of same county make you get a divorce from your spouse of over 10 years

Coloma, MI |

going thru a c.p.s. thing for 2 years and now they the courts and cps tell me to divorce my husband and we will give you your children back? They dont like him because he aint letting them "run him over". I and him have done everything they have asked of us, and now they r tellin me this. Isnt this blackmail? The father is innocent and they havent come after him with any charges of any allegations in 2 years. no one came to question me or him about any allegations and i know they have no proof of anything because i know nothing happened. it aint like like im blind and dont kmow whats going on. my kids will tell anyone nothing happened numerouse times to diffenerent people. our daughter has been molested while in fostercare and beaten up and nothing being done legally by c.p.s. could go on

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am sorry that you and your family are going through this. No one can force you to get divorced. You should consult with the local social service agencies and legal aid agencies to make sure that your legal rights are protected and that you protect your family and yourself. You deserve to be happy and live a good life, take care of yourself.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


You should follow the advice of Mr. Lewis.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis


thank you for your kind note


I also agree with Mr. Lewis. I don't practice in your state, but I know in my state, DYFS (or DCPP) often will try and split couples apart if they feel that one of the spouses has been guilty of abuse either in the form of domestic violence against the family, or other forms of abuse. While these agencies cannot compel anyone to divorce, they can often make reunification more difficult if they have concerns about one of the parents. I certainly hope you have consulted a child abuse attorney in your state.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer