Skip to main content

Can a convicted sex offender obtain relief from the nightmare of registration and possibly have the conviction/record sealed?

Los Angeles, CA |

I know a person convicted of Attempt Lewd and Lascivious acts on a minor under 14. This occurred 26 years ago in 1986. The person has complied with all registration laws, has lived a reputable life, raised a family and this was his only felony conviction. Is there any way he may get relief from the mandatory sex offender registration and get the criminal record sealed, expunged, a certificate of rehabilitation, or pardon? If yes, what would he need to do to proceed in doing this? The conviction was in Arizona. The person's residence is in California.

Attorney Answers 3


This would depend on Arizona law. In California, a Certificate of Rehabilitation would do it. You would have to contact Arizona attorneys to see if they have something similar.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You must obtain relief in AZ for this .

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


A person cannot get a Certificate of Rehabilitation in CA for most sex offenses. See PC 4852.1(d) which provides in part "This chapter shall not apply to persons serving a mandatory
life parole, persons committed under death sentences, persons convicted of a violation of subdivision (c) of Section 286, Section 288, subdivision (c) of Section 288a, Section 288.5, or subdivision (j) of Section 289," These people must obtain a direct pardon from the governor to escape registration.

In your case since the crime was committed in AZ, AZ procedures would apply.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics