CAN A CONVICTED FELON SHOOT A SHOTGUN IN TEXAS THAT DOES NOT BELONG TO HIM AFTER THE 5 YEARS ARE UP FROM BEING RELEASED

Baytown, TX |

MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN CHARGED WITH FELON POSSESION OF FIREARM AFTER BEING 5 YEARS FROM HIS RELEASE ,CAN HE BE CHARGED WITH THAT . THEY WANT TO GIVE HIM 2 YEARS

Possession of a firearm by a felon can be a state crime. That would mean care, custody, control or "management" of a firearm in violation of Texas law.

Federal law is stricter. It prohibits ANY possession of firearms by convicted felons.

I am not going to lay out the details of these laws because their application requires knowing the facts, and I believe your husband really needs to consult with a lawyer about this.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.