Can a convicted felon in Tenn. hunt with a compound bow or a cross bow?

Knoxville, TN |

I am aware that felons can not have guns. I was a vivid hunter before and would like to hunt once again, but I don't want to break the law.

Yes, you can. Many people are not advised of this. Keep in mind that if you are using a bow to hunt during muzzleloader or rifle season you must still abide by the state hunter orange requirement and have any applicable permits. You may want to check and make sure there are no special rules regarding felons if you apply to hunt on any of the state's military bases.

2. I don't practice in TN, but under federal law you're only prohibited from owning/using a firearm.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

3. Yes you can. And in fact, check with ATF and Tennessee TBI as it may be possible to hunt using black powder muzzle loaders as well if the rifle you use is one allowed by ATF as legally not considered a firearm. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/collectors.html

https://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.