Skip to main content

Can a convicted felon get joint custody?

Hesperia, CA |

My ex boyfriend wants to get joint custody of our 18 month daughter. He is a ex felon and is no longer on probation. He has several unpaid speeding tickets which we believe have resulted in a bench warrant, and is unemployed. He wants to have equal amount of time through custody. I will agree to weekends but not equal amount of time unless the court orders it. Does he have a chance at it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The test is the best interests of the child and the presumption is that contact with both parents is in those interests. When one parent has problems , however, substance abuse or criminality to name a few, the Courts will shy away from awarding joint custody. Often the solution is to let the miscreant parent have supervised visitation every week or so until he/she demonstrates that he can be trusted. There are agencies that supervise these visits and report to the courts. You should have a lawyer for custody matters and he will probably suggest supervised visitation unless you are already prepared to give more.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer