Can a convicted felon enter an elementary school to visit his daughter?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Saint Augustine, FL

My granddaughters father does not have legal visitation or custody. In fact the only time he tries to contact her is an occassional visit to her school for lunch. She is 6 and does not like this. How can we put a stop to this?
We are fearful that he will try to take her out of school. The school knows that my daughter was never married to him and that he desserted them. However they let him enter the school.
What can we do?

1. Brent Allan Rose

Answered . Certain felons (such as those convicted of certain sex crimes) cannot be near children, and no felon may voluteer in a public school activity (such a reading to children or going on a field trip), but no Florida law prevents convicted felons from visiting their children at school.

If you wish to stop visitation between a father and his daughter (a dubious thing to do in most circumstances), the mother should go to court and seek sole custody. If the judge won't award sole custody, then perhaps it's time for the father to have a chance to make up for his awful mistake. Your granddaughter may not like the visits, but at her age, how would she know? Sometimes, a bad dad is better than no dad and, given a chance, maybe he'll turn out to be a good dad.