Can a conservator in Wisconsin create trusts with the conservatee's assets?

Medford, WI |
Filed under: Estate planning

Attorney wants to transfer all assets into both irrevocable and revocable trusts

1. It depends on the powers given to the conservator under a court order, power of attorney or whatever document gives the conservator powers. Ask the attorney to point out the authority to do so.

2. Q: Can a conservator in Wisconsin create trusts with the conservatee's assets?
    A: Good Luck! It really depends on the presiding probate court judge's philosophy and inclinations. There are good reasons to establish some trusts, for example a D4A Medicaid payback trust that preserves current benefits as well as the trust assets for discretionary purposes. Medicaid gets the leftovers after death. Worth a try!

This is not legal advice. I am not your lawyer. You are not my client. You cannot rely on my response to your question. My response to your question is probably worth exactly what you paid for it. You don't get to sue me for anything. If you'd like to sue me, well you have to hire me first. Here's how you can hire me! #1 Call: 1-888-463-2843 #2 Email: david@davidcarrierlaw.com #3 See me on TV! www.woodtv.com - go to the Ask the Expert tab! #4 Listen to my radio show (2 full hours every week!) www.woodradio.com - go to the podcast section.

3. Typically, the answer would be "yes", but it would depend on what powers have been entrusted to the conservator. Typically, an Attorney would need to review papers and discuss with Conservator's counsel to see whether this would appropriate.

Wills and estates topics