Can a congress person investigate a federal crime.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Odessa, TX

I contacted my congress person about an issue that was criminal which involved ADA and other federal issues. I wrote a letter to the congressman's office while in custody but the congressman's staff failed to respond. When I was released I wrote/contacted the congressman's office and the response was outdated. I was informed by the congressman's office that my problem had been taken care and I was getting the needs met. The letter was written to me as if I was still in custody. The congressman's staff was not aware that I had been released even though my letter was mailed from a local address. It appears that the congressman's office failed to truly investigate the issue and was shocked when I said I had been released. I still haven't received an intelligent response. What can I do.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. David C. Holmes

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . A representative can investigate essentially anything, but if you think that a criminal act has occurred, you would be wiser to take it to law enforcement.

Related Topics

Federal crime

A federal crime is prosecuted under federal law, not state. Federal charges can come from crimes committed on federal lands, or from offenses like tax evasion.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,162 answers this week

3,340 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,162 answers this week

3,340 attorneys answering