Can a condo association put a lein on a property thats foreclosed and isn't paying condo dues?

Asked about 3 years ago - Madison, WI

I am VP of a small condo association (7 units). One of the condos foreclosed last year and we have been out condo dues from the unit for almost a year. We have contacted the bank multiple times that owns it and they keep shuffling us around because they don't want to pay the fees. When the property does eventually sell, is the buyer liable for paying back fees? We haven't been able to get a straight answer or any money from the bank owned property. For over 6 months they claimed the property was still in the lady's name that foreclosed even though her attorneys told her which month to stop paying dues. Now, when we call the bank they say the property is in "legal limbo" as to who the owner is. Can we force the bank or eventual new owner to pay back fees somehow? Please help!

1. Bernard James Conway

Answered . The first thing I would suggest is to file a lien to protect whatever interests the Assoc has. Second - notify every interested party of the lien and get them a copy of same. Finally, get some legal advice from a lawyer in WI.

2. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . You can place a lien on the property for the unpaid fees but you should work with a local attorney to make sure you do not violate any laws.