Can a condo association evict or foreclose on a homeowner in IL for unpaid dues?

Asked 6 months ago - Wheeling, IL

Changed association management, big dispute on who to pay, have not paid dues for 1 year.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . If you have not paid the association dues for a year, the HOA as every right to evict. You need to read your bylaws and make every effort to bring your dues to to date.

2. Robert J Adams Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . Yes. Assuming your are now able to pay the current dues and your mortgage you may wish to consider a Chapter13 which will give you time to repay the back amounts.

3. Randy Eric Weinstein

Pro

Answered . Yes. Check your condo dec and bylaws

4. Daniel S Khwaja

Answered . Yes they can. I have seen multiple cases with this type of litigation. I would suggest making arrangements with your the condo association to square away any dues that are in arrear. They have the legal authority to foreclose on you subject to any restricting language in your bylaws.

The condominium act also has some useful information:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?...