Can a complaint for civil trespass include vandalism charges? Must vandalism be dealt with through police?

Woodstock, MD |

I live in Maryland. Cable company had to run lines across property of several neighbors in order to give me service. Cable people have been very slow to bury lines. Neighbors are complaining. One neighbor entered my property & intentionally disconnected cable, broke connection equipment. No Internet for 3 days now, which is how I receive & submit work. Wage loss involved. What can I sue neighbor for?

1. Your damages.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

2. You can sue neighbor for trespass, plus damages as a result of losing internet for 3 days. You would do this is District Court.

The materials contained in this answer are provided as a public service and on an informational basis. These materials are not intended to be a comprehensive statement of Maryland law, and are not intended to convey legal advice. I answer all questions. However, this does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer until you pay me money. If you have a legal problem, you should consult with an attorney who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. If you need an attorney, you may contact me 410-828-9363 and I will be more than happy to give you a free initial consultation.

3. You can sue your neighbor for trespass and intentional interference with a contractual relationship. However, there may be a proof problem with regard to establishing that your neighbor cut the wire. Do you have a witness that saw him do it? Obviously, you should call the cable company and get them to reconnect the lines and refund the pro rata charges for the days you did not have internet.