Can a complaint be filed against a lawyer for unethical conduct in a business matter outside the practice of law?

Reno, NV |
Filed under: Professional ethics

I have rented a house from a lawyer who denied any foreclosure proceedings on the property. After signing a lease, it was found that the house was actually the subject of a judicial foreclosure - one that has been settled with a judgement against my landlord (the lawyer). I have documentation, first of his blatant denial of the foreclosure proceedings, which happened numerous times, over a period of months. This individual has also told my new landlords - the bank who foreclosed - that I never paid rent, although I have receipts from his office, as well as bank images of his having cashed the payments for rent. Whether it is important or not, when the lease was tendered, he did use his title, Esquire, as well as his status of attorney as part of the reason we should rent from him.

Attorney disciplinary proceedings are available to protect clients from bad lawyers. If the disciplinary authority does even consider a complaint such as you describe, it is unlikely that they will impose any discipline on the lawyer. The issue did not arise in the context of an attorney-client relationship. He does sound like a bad actor. It may be some comfot to you that if the lawyer in question is convicted of any criminal activity, that will automatically come to the attention of the committee.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

Mr. Brophy's advice is correct, the disciplinary rules apply only to matters in which the attorney is performing professional duties as an attorney, not his separate businesses such as being a landlord.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Although I almost invariably agree with the advice of Mr. Brophy and Mr. Leibowitz - who I find among the best on this forum - I think your LL who has lied to you and who is defaming you (if what you say is true) should be reported to the Nevada Disciplinary committee. By using his title Esq. he is putting his status as an attorney at issue, and his conduct is demeaning the profession. They may not investigate or they may investigate.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Couldn't hurt, the guy sounds like a jerk. And anyone who uses Esq. after this own name, other than Bugs Bunny. :-) (Hope I haven't insulted anyone around here, LOL. And thanks for the props, Jeffrey.

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

I prefer Jeff, but you're welcome. For years there was an attorney here on the island that wanted to be called "Dr." I think he's dead.

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

A suitable punishment :-)

Professional ethics topics