Can a company that pays Salary plus commission take back commissions after they are paid?

Jacksonville, FL |

I work for a company that pays salary every other week and commission on sales once a month. If a customers account goes over 120 days they deduct commissions that have already paid. As the representative we have no control over collections or putting customers on credit hold or taking them off credit hold yet we are penalized by having those commissions taken back by the employer.

1. Under Florida law, commissions and other compensation is governed by the agreement between the employer and employee. If the understanding or agreement allows for the commisions to be recoverd, there is no law that would prohibit it. On the other hand, if that is not the agreement, presumably you would have a basis for challenging this action on the part of the employer. Hopefully your commission plan or compensation agreement addresses this issue.