Can a company sue you for assuming you used a customer credit card info but you really didn't?

Received a call from prev employment saying i used customer credit card info and saying i purchased a airline ticket but never did. it was $200 but i never did such thing.Fraud dept called. What can happen?

Anyone can sue for anything. Whether the case has merit depends on the evidence one has to support their claims or defend against the claims made.

The call may be just a threat to try to intimidate you into an admission and pay. If the case is only worth $200 that is probably the case. But if you did nothing wrong you have nothing to be fearful of. The company has the burden of proving its claim. Presumably they have no evidence to pursue a frivolous case. Good luck.

They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion based on very limited information. My opinion should not be taken as legal advice. For true advice, we would require a confidential consultation where I would ask you questions and get your complete story. This is a public forum, so remember, nothing here is confidential. Nor am I your attorney. I do not know who you are and you have not hired me to provide any legal service. To do so would require us to meet and sign written retainer agreement. My responses are intended for general information only.

They can sue, but if they do not have any evidence, it wouldn't be successful.

If the employer believes it has sufficient evidence to establish what it says, you can be sued civilly, but it is unlikely that will occur. It is far more likely that the company will report the issue to the police and let the authorities investigate and charge you if evidence corroborates the story.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

I generally agree with my colleague but I need to add: one serious issue here is your job. Maybe your employer retaliates against you for some reason , or they want just to dismiss you and they create an incident against you.. Check your memory and your records. As you know bad reputations can follow your future employment even if your recent employer will not file a lawsuit.

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+.