Can a company require me to sign separation papers within 7 days, else I will lose my opportunity for a severance package?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Miami, FL

I am in the process of seeking legal counsel. The company will not communicate with me and will not provide me with a version of my original signed employment contract. They also will not respond to my requests for an extension for an additional 14 days before making a decision. It seems that 7 days are not enough to get proper legal advice.

1. 2

Answered . If you are over 40 and the severance agreement includes your waiver of any age discrimination claim, then the employer should give you 21 days to review the agreement. Otherwise, there is no obligation for the company to provide more time for your to review. In fact, the company can withdraw the offer at any time before it is accepted. Good luck.