Can a company refuse to provide proof of legal ownership of a debt, and yet still report you to the credit bureaus?

Babylon, NY |

Verizon has reported me to the credit bureaus and has refused to provide proof of ownership for the account. I have NEVER been a Verizon customer! This is their response to my request for legal validation and verification:
“Our records show that the information reported is accurate. Please note that under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, a creditor collecting its own debts is not a “debt collector”. Any request for “debt validation” pursuant to Section 15 USC 1692g of the FDCP is therefore not applicable to Verizon. Verizon furnishes account status information for delinquent customers to the major credit reporting agencies.” As of now, only Transunion apparently feels that the"proof" Verizon supplied (none)was inadequate and has deleted this from my file.

1. You should contact a consumer credit or commercial litigation attorney in your area to see redress for your damaged credit.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

2. You should contact a consumer credit or commercial litigation attorney in your area to see redress for your damaged credit.

3. Technically they are correct. The FDCPA only covers debt collectors not creditors so Verizon is under no legal obligation to verify the debt under that law. However you can protect yourself with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. You should contact an attorney with this type of experience.

No attorney client relationship has been created by this answer.

4. YES. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Send them a letter that you are seeking counsel to sue them under the provisions of that act unless they remedy the situation. Then, find a good debtor-creditor lawyer if they ignore you.

This answer is made for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party, any partnership, investment plan, arrangement, legal structure or other transaction addressed herein.