Can a company refuse to provide proof of legal ownership of a debt, and yet still report you to the credit bureaus?

Asked over 1 year ago - Babylon, NY

Verizon has reported me to the credit bureaus and has refused to provide proof of ownership for the account. I have NEVER been a Verizon customer! This is their response to my request for legal validation and verification:
“Our records show that the information reported is accurate. Please note that under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, a creditor collecting its own debts is not a “debt collector”. Any request for “debt validation” pursuant to Section 15 USC 1692g of the FDCP is therefore not applicable to Verizon. Verizon furnishes account status information for delinquent customers to the major credit reporting agencies.” As of now, only Transunion apparently feels that the"proof" Verizon supplied (none)was inadequate and has deleted this from my file.

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

2

Answered . You should contact a consumer credit or commercial litigation attorney in your area to see redress for your damaged credit.

2. Ronald Joseph Kim

2

Answered . Technically they are correct. The FDCPA only covers debt collectors not creditors so Verizon is under no legal obligation to verify the debt under that law. However you can protect yourself with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. You should contact an attorney with this type of experience.

No attorney client relationship has been created by this answer.
  3. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

1

4. Richard Albert Luthmann

Pro

Answered . YES. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Send them a letter that you are seeking counsel to sue them under the provisions of that act unless they remedy the situation. Then, find a good debtor-creditor lawyer if they ignore you.