Can a company record my calls in Oregon without informing me first? a company in Indiana does so, never informed me

Independence, OR |

i have talked with these people about my account several times. when i ask for them to put their response in writing the said the record all calls a would not respond in writing. i was never informed i was being recorded....

Yes. In Oregon, audio recording of a telephone conversation is legal as long as one of the parties to the conversation knows it's being recorded. (By contrast, audio recording an in-person conversation is legal only if all parties to the conversation know about the recording.)

If the larger problem is, you want a written record of what this company is demanding, then you do have the right to communicate with them in writing. You're never obligated to answer the phone. You can refuse to take their calls and communicate in writing if you like.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online: