Can a company keep a debit card on file?

Elyria, OH |

I canceled a hair appointment. They claimed they never got it. So, they had my debit card on file and told me they are going to charge $150 on it. Can they do that? No services were rendered. How can they keep my debit card on file. No signs posted, and I did not sign anything authorizing them to do this???

can they? they did. Just call your credit card issue, contest the charge and request new number. You can't afford to hire an attorney over this.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

I would agree with my colleague. How did they get the card? When they did, what did they tell you about how they would store the information, protect it, use it and dispose of it? If there are any legal claims to be made, these factual issues will be important.