Can a college withhold a college transcript after including fines in bankruptcy?

Asked 12 months ago - Jackson, MS

I was taking graduate courses and receiving student loans. One semester I registered for two classes. One of the classes was cancelled by the college due to not enough students registering for the class. There was no other class I could take that semester so I ended up with just one class. The school charged me for the class since I wasn't eligible for student loans. I tried paying this class off, but the college kept adding more and more fees. In the end the college wanted over $4000 for just that one class. It was included in bankruptcy, however, the college still will not release my transcript. Do I have to pay the balance before I can get my transcript? If not, what do I need to do to get the transcript?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Sounds like a violation of the discharge. Best to back to your bk lawyer. If he does not do bk adversaries, well now you have the key word to find a bk attorney who can help. Chuck Newton in the Woodlands Texas is very good, but I am not sure if he goes to your state.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,831 answers this week

2,760 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,831 answers this week

2,760 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary